Friday, July 7, 2023

The Verse Programming Language

 If you've seen this video on the Verse language:


then you might have seen quite a few bits that are similar to Ken. Examples include bidirectional execution (when possible), the way failure corresponds to zero possible values. Was I influenced by Verse?

Well no, though I might be in future. However the stuff where they are similar was already in the Wombat Programming Language. I gave a talk about it in Wellington at a side-meeting to the Asian Programming Languages and Systems meeting in 2018. I like to imagine that I influenced somebody there and that influence found its way into Verse. However more likely these are just ideas whose time has come. For bidirectional execution I was certainly influenced by Mercury, which is an Australian language related to Prolog, and the video mentions being influenced by Prolog.

No comments:

Post a Comment